Monday, November 11, 2013

11.11.11

Our miracle day! Two years ago today, at almost this exact time, we were anxiously awaiting our first look at Carson after they had removed the teratoma. He had undergone somewhere around a 10 hour surgery and those ten hours were touch and go. Obviously our nerves were on edge. Our entire family gathered together, spent time praying, held Kellen, anything to help pass the time, while we waited for updates and then for that news we all wanted to hear. The teratoma was off and Carson had survived - and I don't say that just to say that. Really, I don't know how many people actually thought he would make it. At the time, no one led me to believe they didn't think he would but when you read the operative note and the first line says "The parents are fully aware that he may not survive this surgery" and when multiple nurses tell me (later), "I really wanted to believe he would [survive] but I just didn't know if he would," it really hits you, I just witnessed a miracle surgery! I'm not taking anything away from the surgeons that performed the surgery because I know they have a most amazing talent and knowledge of what they were doing but I KNOW the 'divine physician' had His hand on theirs, guiding their every move and cut. At some point human capabilites reach their limit and only God's grace can explain how/why Carson's life was spared. Thank you God!

So in addition to my last post, I want to add...
THANKFUL for having access to some of the best medical care (from the time the teratoma was spotted on a routine ultrasound, to the many trips to STL for prenatal care, to the delivery, to Carson's surgery to remove the teratoma, and every subsequent clinic visit and surgery at Cardinal Glennon and Cincinnati Children's since). It is only because we live in the United States that some of this care is possible. We have friends who live outside the US tell us, if you lived where we do, it just wouldn't have been feasible to save Carson, let alone Kellen and yourself. WOW! That really makes you stop and think. I am so thankful for all the doctors, nurses, and medical personnel that have played a role in our story.
Two years ago.... (and this is a 'good' picture)

Yesterday...God is GOOD!!!

   
For you make me glad by your deeds, Lord; I sing for joy at what your hands have done. How great are your works, Lord, how profound your thoughts! 
Psalm 92:4-5
 
Two other things...
 
Thank you to all those who have served and are serving our country today...I am so thankful to live in the country I do. I know the liberties we have did and do not come without a cost. So thank you, thank you!
 
And...Once again, we have been blown away by others' giving spirits. Peach's Neet Feet is an amazing non-profit organization that creates custom painted shoes for kids with chronic illnesses or conditions. Artists donate their time and amazing skill to create the shoes, and other people donate money to provide these shoes for sweet children like Carson. Carson received his shoes this past week! And not only did they send shoes, they sent a FULL box of gifts for Carson and Kellen (because Peach's Neet Feet found out that Carson had a twin brother). Wow...thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone that was involved! It brought many smiles and lots and lots of joy to two little boys!



I think it is safe to say..."He LOVED his shoes!"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment