Friday, November 8, 2013

TWO YEARS OLD!!

Happy Birthday to our two miracles! They have brought so much joy to our lives and I only fall more in love with them each day. In these two short (or long, however you look at it) years, they have taught me so much about the things that REALLY matter in life.

Thinking back over the last two years...I have so much to be thankful for...

THANKFUL that because of all the additional care Carson requires, it has been MUCH easier to NOT sweat the small stuff...instead I am able to (usually : ) focus on the most important things - the smiles, the laughs, all the 'firsts', the sweet little boy hugs, kisses, hearing your child call your name, the hugs from those who love you when you don't think you can keep on, keeping on, etc.

THANKFUL that God knows what I can handle and when. For example, if I had known from the beginning that Carson would STILL have a trach at two and taking it out would be nowhere in the near future AND that we would STILL be working on eating by mouth on a daily basis. I may have quit before our journey ever began. We originally thought that two years was the maximum time Carson would have his trach. However, life is manageable now and actually enjoyable! I can even take the boys some places by MYSELF, when in the beginning, we had to have THREE adults just to take them anywhere.
 
THANKFUL for family, and those friends that are like family. I still remember walking into my kitchen the morning after our first night at home (in Dexter) with Carson and Kellen. I just started crying while Mom and Dad hugged me. I was saying, "How can I trust my child, who could have a life threatening event at ANY moment, with these nurses that I don't know, some of which can hardly hear, or see, or walk, or even think straight..." Well, our family stepped in to help out, and those that couldn't be here physically, sent up prayer after prayer! And look how far we have come!

THANKFUL for Preston! I knew he would be a wonderful dad within the first few months of meeting him. But he has gone above and beyond. He loves these boys in the only way he knows how...with all his heart! He does things that most Dads wouldn't do. He has even learned to call our couch, his bed just so he is available if Carson or the nurses need anything. I mean, really, he has probably only slept in our bed, a handful of times in the past year. He is amazing and I probably don't tell him enough. (maybe I'll learn how to do that in the next year :)

THANKFUL for the power of prayer and personal experience in the results of it!


THANKFUL that I have learned to EXPECT miracles because when you begin looking for all the little miracles, your eyes are truly opened to the hand of God!

THANKFUL for finally accepting this truth...Life just is NOT fair, so don't expect it to be! Thinking back over my life, I had never really been tested...I mean, really, I had a pretty 'fair' life. I was born into an amazing family that loves each other and loves God. School was easy and I always had friends by my side. I went to college and grad school, found a degree and occupation I loved. Got a job, got married, and got pregnant. I mean, I really didn't have anything to complain about...Life was good (I need to follow that up with...it is even better now!) But really, I had never had my faith and my will tested like I have these past two years. There is no fairness in the fact Carson has to endure what he does on a daily basis, it isn't fair that he can't do all the things a typical two year old can, it isn't fair he has to have surgery after surgery after surgery. BUT, Carson has taught me, that it is all about attitude! It is our job to make the most of our circumstances! Happiness is not about having the perfect life, it is about making the life you have, perfect!

THANKFUL for my two sweet birthday boys! (I know there are many more things I could list, but its late and I need to go to bed)

The boys had a wonderful birthday and the weather was nice enough we even got to go to the park.

Carson's 'funny face' while licking the beater : )

This is actually huge for Carson...WANTING to lick the beaters clean : )

And of course Kellen loves them!

Family pileup!

Birthday boys!

Love that smile!

Too sweet for words!

One year ago!

Almost two years ago...we have come a long way!  

 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

1 comment:

  1. GOODNESS. What a wonderful update! Just crying here with my coffee and praising Jesus for you and your sweet family. Thank you for this testimony of such great faith and for keeping on keeping on! And Liz...you are an encouragement to me and I know to many. Praise God for little Carson and what a blessing he is to all of us!!! --Ahdra

    ReplyDelete