We just got back from Cincinnati! It was a good trip and Carson did remarkably well handling the IV and nerves and recovery. I am so so thankful! Answered prayers for this trip and from trips in the past! These past couple trips have been a little hard for me, or maybe just an eye opener, because I see just how grown up Carson is getting. He sits on the stretcher alone, he gets a decision in how he goes off to ‘sleep’, and he tells us bye without a tear. While I am so incredibly thankful, I remember past times of taking him up there in a stroller or carrying him back to the OR in my arms. We have come a long way over the years!
His stoma never closed completely after the fistula closure that was done in November. There was still the tiniest little pin hole left. But because it was so tiny, they didn’t have to do the full fistula closure again. The ENT just cauterized the outside to get the skin to close together completely! That meant we didn’t have to even stay a night in the hospital! Whoop! Whoop!
And on top of that, they said we don’t have to come back to follow up for a year! I was expecting to have another trip in a couple months. It was just one of those trips that we left with a positive feel even though his airway still has a significant level of obstruction above his vocal cords (why he needs CPAP at night). It wasn’t that we got any different news, it was just the way the doctors gave us the information. It was such a good reminder for me that the WAY you deliver news/information matters (whether it is good or bad news). It leaves the recipient either with hope and positive thoughts or it can come off with a negative vibe (which was more of my feel after our last trip in November).
Assuming his stoma heals as expected, Carson is one step closer to swimming underwater (his main goal!) They told us to give it a week or two but then give swimming a try!!! I honestly can’t even imagine what that will be like. It is like the sought after goal that you feel is ALWAYS just a little out of your reach …just keeps getting moved back a little further. Maybe, we are actually, almost there! Maybe! Just maybe!
I will always continue praying for complete healing of his airway, that the part above his vocal cords may open up with growth! No surgeries, as of yet, that have targeted that area…ever keep it open. Praying that one day, he may not need his CPAP at night. But, I will praise God for the gift of Carson and his courage and strength! For his life, that I believe has helped shape me into a better version of myself and has drawn me closer to God. I will continue trusting God, that all Carson has dealt with and gone through, all of the ‘hard’ is also shaping him into who He made Carson to be and do. And that one day, Carson will be able to see the beauty in the suffering in his life. We were all made to do hard things….he has just had a whole lot of practice at it!
Thankfully, we had some time for fun while we were in Cincinnati, also! And we didn’t leave without stopping for ice cream at Graeter’s…even if it was at 7 am this morning! Gotta keep up the tradition!
| Post surgery |
| Part of the Ronald McDonald House from the top floor! |
| The Bengals stadium |
No comments:
Post a Comment