Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Orthodontics & Back to School...waiting on the sleep study

Whelp...it's been a LONG while since I've posted anything...so many times I meant to send out an update to ask for prayers for this or that and never made it to the computer. Carson and Kellen are back in school...we went back to in person school in August with precautions in place to limit exposure between kids & teachers. We feel comfortable with the set up and I have spoke with Cincinnati in regards to Carson. They feel like Carson is no more at risk than any other kid because his lung health is good. This was what I had thought all along with COVID but hadn't actually talked to anyone that knew Carson's case well. 
So far, so good. It was a big change from last year...the boys switched buildings, get grades now, have more homework, and more work than play but they have adapted well and had good reports from their first quarter! Carson still has an 'aide' that is there in case of emergencies and to be an extra set of eyes on Carson at recess, lunch, etc. He has the same aide as last year and for that I am grateful!

I spoke with Cincinnati prior to school starting trying to figure out what the next step was for Carson, what it would look like in light of COVID, and when. The CPAP titration sleep study is the next thing and it is just to 'mark the box', see if it is or isn't an option for Carson. But for Carson, they would do what they call CPAP desensitization for a couple days/nights...hoping that will help him because CPAP may not be a pleasant experience. He hates having things on his face. So...timing is up to us but I've not scheduled anything yet because in August Carson started on the orthodontics train! I didn't want to do too much all at once and Carson not tolerate it well. So for now we are just waiting on the CPAP sleep study.

Carson's orthodontics though has been a pleasant surprise...as I have mentioned before, every dental visit is a visit that involves anxiety and unpleasantries for Carson just because of his oral sensitivities and gag reflex. SO...when we started with orthodontics and the recommendation was a palate expander and braces now, I had some anxious thoughts about how that would all go. He got his palate expander in August...I really didn't know if he would tolerate getting it put in BUT he surprised me and did REALLY well...no problems at all except for the last little bit with gluing it in place. That was not pleasant but we all survived (the orthodontist included...Ha!). We head back next week for the braces...prayers ARE appreciated!!! I'm told they won't be as bad but it does require that same glue that smells/tastes weird! 

Hopefully we will find out how long the expander has to stay in next week also. My thought is to wait on the sleep study until the expander is out! The expander has posed extra challenges with eating and speech but Carson has adapted fairly well....big improvements from the week immediately following! I really didn't know if he could go to school because his speech was so hard to hear and understand initially (that improved). Eating has been more challenging but we are navigating it. I pray daily for patience and guidance for me...If I could only give him MY appetite!

For now, we are enjoying life as much as possible...we've done a lot of hiking recently in Southern Illinois and Southeast MO...the colors and sights (minus the copperhead snake..aaaah!) have been beautiful. I'm praying that this waiting period (since last spring) may allow for God's work, for growth in Carson's airway, that MAYBE we won't need CPAP after all...that maybe by expanding Carson's palate it may actually help with opening some of his upper airway when he sleeps. That may ALL be wishful thinking but I am praying (& know) God works in this waiting! 

Thank you as always for all of you who continue to pray for Carson & our family!!

Bearcat Fridays!

Elephant Rocks




Have a Happy Halloween!






No comments:

Post a Comment