Tuesday, February 21, 2017

February 23rd is here

This is going to be a short post because I am still working on packing but we are heading to Cincinnati tomorrow (Wednesday) for surgery that is scheduled for Thursday...I think I'm still holding my breath that it is all going to go through. Surgery is scheduled to begin at 7:30 am ET & they have the OR blocked for 4 hours for his case.

This is the plan for the surgery (from a prior post):
They will be doing a supraglottalplasty (basically removing tissue by his epiglottis), a vocal cord lateralization (actually its the false cord just above the vocal cord) and they may need to place a stent for a couple weeks to help his airway heal & remain open. The stent is a pain because Carson is not able to talk while it is in place and eating is much more difficult. It will require at least an overnight stay (maybe 2) but should not be anywhere near as invasive as his reconstructive surgeries.

So the little hiccup this time (hopefully not but maybe)...we noticed that the area right around Carson's trach stoma (opening around his trach) was more red, puffy, & tender on one side. What?!? He never has a problem with his stoma & this happens 3 days before surgery. I called & sent pictures this morning and they thought we could just wait until we got there & they would address it. Tonight (Tuesday night) it was even more red/puffy. I'll probably touch base with them again in the morning but either way we will want them to look at it just really praying that it doesn't affect the planned surgery. We want to get it done!

One praise...we were NOT going to have the Ronald McDonald House Wednesday night but I got a call today saying there was a cancellation and we could now check in tomorrow (Wednesday). The boys are pumped!! They were running around tonight cheering, "We are going to Cincinnati tomorrow!" "We get to go to the Ronald McDonald House!" Love them and love RMH!!

Thank you again for the many many prayers & thoughts! Hopefully I will be able to update that we did make it and they did go forward with the planned surgery AND that it was a SUCCESS!

Lots of love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment