Wednesday, June 3, 2015

We are alive! Headed to Cincinnati next week...

I am so sorry that it has been so long since I have updated the boys' adventures! Thank you all for your continued support, love, and prayers!  So, we've had an eventful few months (since I last posted)...The boys were sick most of March (uggh!). It was a long month but thankful that it is out of the ordinary for the boys to be sick, especially for that long! We enjoyed a few trips back to Rogersville and to Little Rock for various events. And have had lots of fun here!

But, first, prayers please!!! We are headed back to Cincinnati next week for another diagnostic surgery for Carson. We will leave EARLY Tuesday morning, have two clinic appointments on Tuesday afternoon, and then the procedure on Wednesday. I am not sure on timing for the surgery yet.

A few people have asked for a refresher on what exactly the plan is for Carson and upcoming surgeries. We are hoping to get more information next week but here is a quick synopsis of what we know now. When we first went to Cincinnati in January of 2013, they were confident that his trach would eventually be able to be removed but told us he will need several surgeries to improve his airway and then a major reconstructive surgery of his upper airway at some point (prior to removing the trach). As far as we know, they still believe his trach will be able to be removed at some point but we have heard anywhere from 5-10 years as how long it might be. Their first attempt at a reconstructive surgery is their best chance at success. Since our initial visit, Carson has had three surgeries to remove tonsils and different granulomas (all things to maximize the size of his airway). His airways look relatively good below his trach with the exception of mild to mod bronchomalcia (floppy airway). But he still has significant obstruction ABOVE his trach, obstruction that will likely not significantly improve until there is a reconstructive surgery. Last year, June 2014, they did a 'triple scope' which includes a rigid bronchoscopy, flexible bronchoscopy, and an upper endoscopy. The bronchoscopies look at his upper and lower airways in his lungs and the upper endoscopy looks at his esophagus and stomach. Three different doctors are involved and they all get together to discuss their findings with the hope of getting the best picture of Carson's airway/body. Last year, we got the best news we could really expect..."His airway had grown proportionally to his overall size". They told us they want to see him yearly to continue to monitor his airway and growth.

Carson will have the same 'triple scope' next week. Of course, the BEST news would be a miraculous healing or that they are ready to do a reconstruction yet I don't think Preston or I are expecting it to be time to do a reconstruction. We ARE expecting more definitive answers in terms of prognosis, timing, and just a better idea of their plan. I am praying for all the doctors and staff that will be caring for Carson. I'm praying for God's protection over his sweet body while he is under anesthesia and I especially pray for peace and calm for Carson. I hate that any of these procedures cause any anxiousness or fear for him yet I do know God holds him in his arms while Preston and I are not able to hold him ourselves. As he gets older, it gets harder and harder because he knows more and more of what is going to happen yet he is not old enough to truly UNDERSTAND. So I pray for an understanding that is not typical for a 3.5 year old. And you can also stick in some prayers for Preston and me...just that we also have peace and complete trust in God's plan for our sweet Carson. Thank you again for the many, many prayers that have been said for Carson and our family! God truly is good and I am so thankful for our faith in His promises and the huge support system we have behind us!

 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

Both pictures were taken outside our front door...
God's light, love, and peace shine through even the darkest clouds!

We have seen some of the most beautiful sunsets...this one was taken the day after Mems passed away (we took it as her gift to us)!  
Here are several from the past several months...
Easter at Ellie's

Always room for ice cream!!


Their FIRST circus...it was a success!!


The boys LOVE riding their bikes!

Watch out world....

A trip to Silver Dollar City!!!

This is just too priceless...

Jam session!

Working on their 'road'




All the guys at the Petelo
Walking up the big hill to see Mems' grave...
We finally have some landscaping and the boys picked out the two frog ornaments from Mems' collection.



No comments:

Post a Comment