I had a few days of 'freak out' mode the beginning of March, when I had some REAL concerns that Carson was aspirating (meaning he was getting food into his airway). Everything did NOT match up but I definitely saw some color on the guaze that we put under his trach (which there shouldn't be any food color on it, since his trach is in his airway). After MANY tears and talking it through with Preston and praying, I decided I should probably call Cincinnati and tell them what I saw, despite my desire to act like I never saw anything and continue on in my rosy world with Carson eating more and more by mouth. One of my BIGGEST fears has always been that Carson aspirated. I'm not really sure why, but I think it is partly because I'm not sure if there is treatment for that and it COULD mean significant changes to his long term prognosis. I was really afraid they would tell me to stop feeding him anything by mouth (& that would have completely devastated me, especially with all the progress Carson has made recently). Anyways, I did call and they wanted me to do a more standardized 'dye test' and note any green color I suctioned or saw on the guaze. So I got my emotional courage up and did the dye test. I probably did it at least 10 times and NEVER saw or suctioned anything. Praise the Lord! I'm not saying what I saw the first time wasn't abnormal but the 'dye test' did confirm for me that Carson does NOT aspirate on a regular basis or even frequently. So I could breathe a little easier. I do know one positive thing that came from all of it, God reminded me that HE is in control and that we will make it through WHATEVER is thrown our way. I just have to keep reminding myself of that. 'Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me' John 14:1
Carson, Kellen, Preston, and I made a trip up to St. Louis the beginning of this week to see Carson's endocrinologist and check his thyroid hormone levels. The appt and labs went well and Carson and Kellen did better than I would have ever guessed. I was a bit nervous going into it because it was the first time Carson would need to have multiple meals on the road (away from our normal routine of eating in his high chair, at our house, etc.) and I wasn't for sure how well he would do, not to mention if Kellen would eat well. I never thought many of my biggest challenges would involve trying to get my children to eat a reasonable amount : ) But, I was pleasantly surprised...Carson did extremely well and so did Kellen! Again, prayers were answered!
Other than that, I have had the pleasure of seeing a little more 'two year old drama' from the boys, testing those boundaries, as I know all children do. I just try to remind myself that this is NORMAL and I like normal! I do think I witnessed Carson's first real tantrum and I happened to be in a good mood where I could actually laugh at it (silently of course!). You now, throwing toy cars, trying to knock things over just to make me mad, and so on. Gotta love that little boy!
But all in all, the boys are fun and really play well together! One of their new activities is climbing up onto our big bed which and 'reading books' to themselves or each other. It is SO much fun to listen to them 'read.' We've also been enjoying the spring weather and having more time outside!
Carson's surgery is still scheduled for April 9th. I'm really praying that he is at a good place at that time and that the team of doctors get a good, accurate picture of his airway, anatomy, etc. This evaluation will hopefully give all of us a better idea of the big picture (including timeline, surgeries, etc.) The Cincinnati team keeps throwing around the term 'reactive airway' and long term steroids due to inflammation they have seen in his airway on a couple occasions. I do NOT personally believe Carson has a reactive airway and I'm really not a fan of long term steroids but again, I'm trying to keep my mind open and like I said, I'm just praying they see an accurate picture of sweet Carson.
Love to all and thank you for going on this journey with us!
![]() |
| 'Can we have one?!?' |
| Checking out our March snow! |
![]() |
| This snowman was a LITTLE better than the first...the boys even helped 'decorate' - ha, I think Kellen may be tasting the snowman. |
![]() |
| Big boys in the big bed : ) |



No comments:
Post a Comment