Friday, January 4, 2013

Update on Cincinnati

Carson is doing great but now that I have a headache, I better send out a prayer request : ) No...not for Carson, but for this momma! Yes, I had a small breakdown complete with tears and all. As Carson is laying on the couch with Preston, I was at the computer researching some of the procedures he will have while in Cincinnati and all of a sudden the tears just came. Why can't our sweet Carson just catch a break??...why can't he just have an easy road from here??...why does he have to go through all these procedures...I wish I could just do it for him. Preston said, "Liz, why are you crying?" as I am sniffling "Carson's not worried...look." And yes, Carson was sleeping as peacefully as could be. That is the beauty of children...no need to worry or get anxious because he has no idea what is up ahead. So, yes...I do ask for prayer for me, to keep it together and realize this is ALL for Carson's benefit. But MORE importantly, please keep up the prayers for the physicians and staff that will be performing the procedures, for safety for Carson, and for continued health. I think we are witnessing another miracle in the fact that Carson and Kellen have remained healthy as the flu, and every other bug, is running rampant in this area. And of course, the biggest prayer I have is for COMPLETE healing (of Carson's airway, swallow, and feeding concerns).

I spoke with a nurse from Cincinnati today and got most of the details for our trip. So for those interested...
January 8th: Anesthesia consult in the morning, Chest Xray, and GI & Pulmonary consult in the afternoon
January 9th: Surgery day with subsequent hospital stay (23 hr observation)! Carson is scheduled to be taken at 10:15am and will be in the OR for approximately an hour. They will do a laryngoscopy and flexible bronchoscopy (ENT and Pulmonology are in charge of this) to look at his airway, then an upper endoscopy will be performed by GI to look at his esophagus, stomach, and first part of his intestines. GI will also place an impedance probe at this time through his nose into his esophagus. This will remain in place for 18-24 hours and its purpose is to evaluate reflux by detecting and record the amount of stomach contents coming back up when he vomits or cries, etc. It also determines if the contents are acidic or not, how long they stay in the esophagus as well as how often it occurs. This is the first thing I'm really not looking forward to because I know it will be uncomfortable for Carson (I also hope he leaves it alone and doesn't pull it out - more prayers : )
January 10th: 10:15 am FEES (Fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallow)...this is done in the ENT clinic and is the second thing I have some anxiety about. Carson will be awake as they pass a scope down through his nose to just above his epiglottis. They will then attempt to feed him (which is NOT his favorite thing anyways) and assess the swallow. Once this is completed, our plan is to head home to Dexter.

So, I am thanking everyone in advance for the prayers because I KNOW what they can do! I am definitely NOT complaining and am so thankful to have the opportunity to take Carson to Cincinnati but I do have some anxious thoughts in the midst of excitement for the trip! I will do my best to keep everyone updated along the way. We should have preliminary results after the procedures are completed but we will not know the COMPLETE plan until the following week when the team meets.
They love their barn : )

Carson is concerned because his farmhand (Kellen) is manhandling his livestock : )

Playing with Danielle : )

Kellen's favorite past time (removing EVERYTHING from the cabinets)

No comments:

Post a Comment