Thursday, August 22, 2019

Triumphs and changes

We have a late start this year, in Dexter, due to needed construction/renovations on various school buildings so we have not started the school year yet. But...I had to hop on here to tell of a huge success for Carson and ask for prayers for this coming school year.

Ever since Carson was born he has had certain oral aversions. I'm guessing it's in part from having so much done in his head, throat, and neck area. He doesn't like having things put up by his face, on his face, definitely not in his mouth, he doesn't like certain foods, textures, etc. He has a quick & strong gag reflex. He has done well and has come a REALLY long way (just getting him to take bites of food used to be a big deal, brushing teeth was a whole family affair...someone was brushing his teeth, someone was holding him and whoever else was there was singing/playing songs/dancing to help distract him). Oral aversions are definitely not fun nor helpful when it is time for the dentist. Think about it...water is sprayed, suckers are used, all sorts of things are put up by or in your mouth. And it's done by people you don't know all that well. Carson has been to the dentist a few times before and we have a great office where everyone is helpful and takes it at his pace...so we have worked up slowly and practiced in every way we can at home. We even took trips by the dentist office on non-appointment days to help Carson feel more comfortable just being in the office and in the chair. I dread these appointments almost as much as anesthesia days because I hate watching him struggle or have to deal with anxiety in any situation.

Let's talk about bite wing Xrays...they have been very challenging in the past...its hard to get the film positioned without eliciting a gag reflex. In fact, we've only gotten one side done on ONE occasion. Last time, we were not able to get any pictures despite Carson really trying, several times. Leading up to this appointment, Carson has been practicing with a red bite wing (no film) but just the bite wing every night at home. And he has mastered it [at home], however once it's actually time for the xray, an additional piece is added on...the Xray film...and it extends even further into his mouth. I was very hopeful that he could do it this time. I prayed all the way over and while we were in the office because Carson was not excited about going in the first place. He tried getting Xrays the first time (actually a few times) at the beginning of the appointment and although he was being very cooperative...we just couldn't get it positioned without him gagging. I was bummed...but we decided to give it a break and try again at the end of the appointment. We continued on with the appointment and Carson did great...he was able to recline some in the chair and have his teeth cleaned and 'counted' (in the past, he has just sat upright on the chair)...he used the sucker to suck out spit and water (which we have also been practicing at home) and tried using the water shooter in his mouth [that didn't go great BUT he did try]. So, it came to the end of the appointment and Carson agreed to attempt the X-rays one more time. Guys...it still took alot of effort on Carson's part and multiple attempts but HE DID IT! He got pictures taken on both sides! Woohoo!! It made me so proud of him for sticking with it and my heart was overflowing for him because you could tell he was proud of himself too and so happy that he did it! The dental hygienist and I did a little dance! So, although, there will be appliances and orthodontics in the future (which is a whole other mountain), we are celebrating this victory for now!

It's the seemingly little things because although the airway surgeries are the big things we focus on, there are so many things that are just a little harder for Carson...things that most kids don't think another thing about but its these small victories that really are the big ones!

And second, for my prayer request...I think I may have mentioned it but Carson's nurse that has been with him at school the past 2 years [to keep a set of eyes on him] is not returning this school year so they have hired a new person. I am confident this will be another great year but I just ask for prayers as I do trach training with her [she is not a medial professional...which I'm fine with]. I have not met her yet...but prayers that she is level headed, compassionate, ready to hang with a bunch of kids every day, & ready to learn about trachs (& that I am able to relay all the important information).

The boys will be heading to second grade...next Wednesday is their first day!  Thank you all so much for following along and cheering Carson & Kellen (& all of us) on!

Success is rarely the result of one swell swoop, but more often the culmination of many, many small victories.”  -Joseph M Marshall III

"...Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
Hebrews 12:1

He's got this!!

Celebrating his victory with orange push-ups!

And the most perfect water park for kids that can't swim (it was only a foot or less deep)!



No comments:

Post a Comment