Monday, June 18, 2018

Rescheduled

I wanted to jump on here [real quick] to update you on the chaos of the Clark household...summer is in full swing and I'm just hanging on for dear life  : ) It definitely is an adjustment (a good one, but an adjustment) having all three boys at home again ALL day (& you can definitely tell it when you walk in our home...ahhhhhh!)

We were supposed to be in Cincinnati today preparing for a sleep study tonight and then a scope with pulmonology and ENT on Wednesday BUT we aren't. Carson has had a cough since the beginning of May...he's felt fine but had a pretty productive and irritating cough for a long time. Preston and I decided that it wasn't worth making the trip and more importantly, putting Carson through all of that only to come home with a similar story as last time..."His airway is inflamed...he must be sick/getting sick." I was totally at peace with the decision to reschedule (thinking we would reschedule sometime in July). That's where the hiccup came in...they are scheduling out to SEPTEMBER!!! Not at all my plan...school will have already started, that's another THREE months with no more answers or plans and Kellen will likely not get to go with us because of school. That threw me for a little bit of a loop...I was frustrated and disappointed. BUT then it was time to refocus & find the good. So...we have our whole summer free!!! So instead of being in Cincinnati today...Ellie (my niece) & Nana are here...they rode scooters, went 'swimming' at Mimi & Papa's, and Carson and Kellen are taking a nap right now in preparation for a late night baseball game. I don't have a date yet for these procedures but will let you all know once I do.

Real quick, in other news...Carson has NOT used his feeding tube since mid February & he has gained weight (it hasn't been without its struggles but he has done it on his own!!) That is a GREAT BIG step!!
He was also discharged from the endocrinologist's care. We thought he would be on Synthyroid to regulate his thyroid levels for the entirety of his life but last year, the doctor told us to stop the medication because he believed there must be at least a small part of his thyroid left. The doctor was correct...his thyroid levels have leveled off and he has maintained normal levels without medication. So, when they resected the teratoma so very long ago, despite not really knowing what they were taking with the tumor because of the massive amounts of blood that was lost...at least a small part of his thyroid was preserved. Another instance of God's handiwork in the midst of it all. While the medication wasn't a big deal...Carson will take one less every day : )
Carson's cough has improved now, so I am thankful for that! Hoping and praying for a great, healthy summer. We head to the beach next week & Carson and Kellen can't wait!!

A couple pictures from Brody's one year session!




 P.S. When I say 'swimming'...we now let Carson get in the pool since his trach is capped and he is tall enough to stand in the shallow end and keep his stoma well above the water level. This is a new favorite activity for Carson and Kellen and Carson is a good sport & has a great time, even though he is limited greatly in what he can do in the pool. But our superhero Carson, had his first moment [i think] of realizing that it is his trach that limits him. One day after swimming, as he was drying off, he turned to me, "Mom, I wish I didn't have a trach." I responded in agreement & said a couple other things but then he ran off to do the next thing [ride the golf cart with Mimi]. We can realize our struggles & name them & even sit with the unfairness but something I learn from Carson over and over is the fact, he doesn't stay there long...he gets back to living life!!!

Hope you all have a fantastic summer!! Love and hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment