Friday, October 4, 2013

It is always better at HOME!

I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to actually do an update! Yes, we got home yesterday (Thursday) afternoon. This trip was definitely the roughest one...

We left Tuesday afternoon and the trip up went well. We checked into our hotel and got Carson settled in. He did not sleep well that night, which means we don't get any sleep. By about 2 am, I started getting concerned...he had alot more secretions than normal and just couldn't rest well (but no fever). That is, no fever until about 5 am. He had about a 100 degree temp. Not horrible, but enough to make me concerned going into surgery. I ended up calling same day surgery at about 6:45 to see if we should even bother going because I thought they would cancel surgery. Long story short, they decided to go forward with surgery after checking him out and talking with us.

The surgery was successful, I guess. They were able to do what they planned but were a little 'conservative' due to inflammation they saw in his airway. They said we wouldn't really see any immediate changes. As I've mentioned before, they get concerned when they see 'reactive' or 'inflammed' airways. Because that isn't the optimal condition for healing (especially when you talk about big reconstructive surgeries...in fact, they won't even do them if the airway is too inflamed). I have a feeling his airway was inflamed due to whatever little bug/virus he has and the fact he didn't sleep much the night before, AND that he threw up several times that night. Anyways, I'm really hoping that was the problem. Dr. Cotton doesn't really have a definite plan at this point...he said, Carson will likely have a reconstructive surgery at some point but he doesn't know what type. He again said, "He will have the trach for a long time." I didn't even ask "How long?" this time because it usually gets longer and longer. And, I know God can work a miracle Dr. Cotton has never seen! : )

Carson will go back in 6 months and have a 'triple scope.' ENT, Pulmonology, and GI get together to take another look and hopefully be able to give us a better 'plan.' I think they really want to give him more time to grow.

Anyways, Carson did fine through surgery and was full of 'energy' and fight when he woke up in recovery. : ) The night after surgery was LONG for all of us! It is SO hard for a kid to get some sleep in the hospital with nurses, doctors, techs, etc all coming in to check this or that. On top of that, Carson required some oxygen while he was sleeping (probably due to whatever bug he has on top of anesthesia). Well this was concerning to the night nurse, Carson's heart leads weren't picking up well so that alarm was going off frequently, she was coming in to check those. Every time, Carson would wake up and get mad and probably a little scared because she was a stranger. Carson's heart rate was definitely higher than normal and he was breathing harder and faster than normal. I think the night nurse was just trying to do a good job but I think Carson really just needed some peace and quiet. Anyways, I was concerned they weren't going to let us leave Thursday morning because of all that (increased heart rate, increased respirations, increased oxygen requirements). Thank goodness, they did! Carson never ceases to amaze me! Despite all of that (just having surgery, not getting any sleep, having a little 'bug'), Carson still woke up Thursday morning and gave me a big grin, played with the toys he could (while being tied to the wall with IVs and cords), and tried to get Daddy's attention to get up off the couch! Like my dad said, the world would be a much happier place if we all had attitudes and personalities like Carson's : ) I am so proud of him!

Once we left, Carson slept about two hours in the car and hardly moved : ) His heart rate was down and he was breathing easier! : ) A huge water puddle greeted Carson once we got home! Carson played in it for a long time with Nana and Aunt RaRa!

Please do be praying that Carson gets over whatever it is he has, so he is 100% for the upcoming wedding, and that Kellen doesn't get sick!! I can never thank you all enough for the prayers!

In our room after surgery...

No comments:

Post a Comment