Preston's parents, sister, brother-in-law, and nieces all came to St. Louis this weekend for Kellen's discharge! Mom and I got away from Rogersville early to make sure to get to Cardinal Glennon to see Kellen's first view of the outside world! Little did we know, God and Kellen had other plans. Kellen is really attached to his brother and didn't want to leave. This morning at 8:30 am Kellen had an episode of bradycardia (dropped his heart rate). As a result, they called Liz and Preston about 10 or so and told them they were not going to let Kellen go home. This was literally a few minutes after Liz and Preston had finished cleaning their Ronald McDonald room and checked out. They had spent all morning cleaning and moving to our family friend's house. They are moving so that Kellen doesn't get exposed to the germs at the Ronald McDonald house. We all had a good laugh over how our plans always get changed by God. The good news was Margo and Meredith, Preston's nieces, were able to see Kellen through a window before they had to go home to Dexter. They were so excited to see Kellen for the first time when he was discharged, so they made the 3 hour trip (because anyone under 16 cannot come into the NICU unless he/she is a sibling). The nurse practitioner let us take Kellen to the door so they could still see him.
We also discovered Kellen usually uses a slow flow nipple on the bottle, so they are going to work on switching him to a regular flow before discharging him. Typically, they do not discharge babies on the slow flow. They tried the regular flow (because he was going home) and he wasn't quite ready for it. They believe that may be why he dropped his heart rate. Anyway, plans changed and Kellen gets to hang out with his brother a little longer.
Carson is doing well. His blood gas was good this morning so they weaned down to 20 on his peak inspiratory pressure. We will see how he does. I have to say, seeing him today, he looks so much better than he did even 5 days ago. We are praying for continued weaning so we can get him off his ventilator. As an aside, being an aunt is the best. Aunt Amber did a fantastic job feeding Kellen this morning and I got to watch all the amazing faces Kellen made while he ate. As I am writing this update, I am in the NICU. Kellen was getting upset and I just got to rebundle him up and he is just so precious. Can't wait to show you Christmas pictures sometime soon!!!!
Carson is doing well. His blood gas was good this morning so they weaned down to 20 on his peak inspiratory pressure. We will see how he does. I have to say, seeing him today, he looks so much better than he did even 5 days ago. We are praying for continued weaning so we can get him off his ventilator. As an aside, being an aunt is the best. Aunt Amber did a fantastic job feeding Kellen this morning and I got to watch all the amazing faces Kellen made while he ate. As I am writing this update, I am in the NICU. Kellen was getting upset and I just got to rebundle him up and he is just so precious. Can't wait to show you Christmas pictures sometime soon!!!!
Weights: Kellen is 6 lbs 2 oz. and Carson is 5 lbs 12 oz.
Posted by Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment